Saturday, September 24, 2011

Therapies!!

So I have finally given in to the whole therapy thing - Skye and Henley will now be getting lots of therapy to try to get them to catch up as they are falling behind. Physically they are good, except Henley still walks on his toes and doesnt like loud noises. He may have some sensory processing issues so OT will be working with him to try to identify and rectify this. We are also going to get speech therapy for both of them as neither of them speak yet and they are nearly 2 1/2 yrs old. They will say mama, dadda and baba but seriously thats it and they have said these words since they were about 18months old!! They will both do some sign language with us and will follow commands but wont speak. Skye already has feeding therapy (but still only picks at tiny crumbs of food) and luckily our current therapist will also do the speech therapies. Henley also only drinks with a baby bottle still (he thows anything else back at you and says 'baba') which is no big deal to me, but I know its something our pediatrician and feeding therapist really hate....

Part of the problem I think is that they have been so isolated, which I did on purpose so that they wouldnt get sick. When Skye did get sick she would need oxygen and it was a big deal, and with their bad lungs, even a simple cold hits them hard. However, they are older now and I think they need to mix with other kids more. I have been tentatively looking at preschools for a while now, but they have never been clean or nice enough (I'm very picky) and then I heard about a place that Keith and I checked out last week AND LOVED! Its called Space Coast Early Intervention Center. Its preschool for kids with special needs, although they do take a number of kids without any issues as well. There are a lot of former preemies who are just behind a little, as well as kids with various issues such as CP and autism. Very nice place, super clean, with fantastic playground (designed so kids in wheelchairs can use it as well). They do special therapies there such as speech etc, and we will be enrolling the kids from mid October, for 3 mornings a week. As it is a non-profit, parents have to do volunteer work in the school (4 hours a week), which means one of the 3 days they are in class, I will be there with them. The only down side is its a long drive but its worth it. They will be getting their flu shots next week in preparation......

3 comments:

  1. The new school sounds really exciting! I'm glad that you were able to find one that you are comfortable with :) I'm sure they will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister didn't talk very much when she was little so my mother started doing sign language with her and then she stopped talking altogether. When my parents finally put her in language therapy, it was much easier for her to communicate with us. I'm sure you'll find the same thing with your children. I think it's amazing how great you raise them. -Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Are you ready Halloween in game sims 4 skill cheats ? Dress your sims up in spooktacular costumer and build the perfedct haunted house with configurable stair.

    ReplyDelete