Thursday, January 27, 2011

Swallow Study & Playdate

Its been a busy few days ....
Saturday we all had a really fun playdate with my friend and her triplets, who were born the same week in the same hospital as mine. All the babies had a great time, and Skye is very good at playing with others. Henley is still a bully and likes to get a baby then lay ontop of them, and then go limp while they struggle underneath him. He also does this to Skye - who knows why he does this???? Maybe its a boy thing.... Anyway Skye really enjoyed it and was sharing toys really well, especially with Brayden - they were playing the drum with one drumstick each....very cute.

So after a full day, we bathed all the babies and went out to dinner, and that was a CHALLENGE. Everyone cried, everyone in the restaurant hated us (dagger looks) and a lady told my friend it was a crazy time for us to bring out babies when so many older people like to go out at this time (we went early).....what, like we aren't allowed out at all????? Next time we decided on getting take out  it was waaay too much hassle.

My only regret was I DIDNT TAKE PHOTOS.... next time I must do this as they are hilarious together.

So then on Tuesday we went for the swallow study with Skye. Normally we have had a 3 month wait for a swallow study in Orlando, but now they do them locally and we got in within a week!! Skye did great, I took her little snacks but she wouldnt eat them , but she did drink from a large spoon for the speech therapist and they did all 3 liquids (thin, nectar and pudding) and she was swallowing it all like a champ (couldnt believe it).

So the outcome was that she has no swallowing issues, and feeding should now be pushed. We discussed speech therapy and I told her my concerns. She told me my experience was not the norm, and if I wanted to try again with someone else we could start off with a one-off consult and from there I can pick and choose when/how often to have it, so I said ok to the consult.

Yesterday I sat her in the high chair and she ate lots of mashed potato with no problem!!! Of course I had to wrestle the first spoonful into her mouth while she was hitting me, but then she decided it was ok and wanted more...and more...and more!!! So a great start, but Im not going to get too cocky as when I re-start feeding her (which I do every month or so) she does great first 1-2 days then she refuses all food again, so we will see. This time I'm going to be more forceful...... Also Henley does not make it easy as he goes wild when he sees the high chair (which is why we stopped using it) he has to try and climb it. Yesterday he climbed up and pulled Skye's trach out while I was getting a spoon.....

Anyway, here are the lastest 2 pics!!!


Skye loves chocolate goldfish!!!!
Stunt man in training

3 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline! It's Annette... Carbonell triplets mom! How are you? I can't believe how big your babies are!! Wow! They're beautiful!!! I'm so proud of you... You're an amazing mommy and an even better advocate for them!! I hope we can get together one of these days! Maybe a playdate with the Rays, yours, and mine. :-) Take care and I'm so glad I found your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wtf!!! with the going out to eat thing. Me and my friend who has triplets go out by ourselves with all 7 of our kids like crazy people all the time...it is quite entertaining :-) Glad she passed thw swallow study!!! Henley reminds me som much of what Andrew does. He try to pull Jacob's g-tube out. Climbs furniture etc..It must be a boy thing. Oh and he is biting now!. Lovw seeing pictures of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad that the swallow study went well! I have confidence that she's going to be eating like a champ soon. :)

    ReplyDelete